Dr. Gary Kinder offers a wide variety of family dentistry services at our Knoxville, TN, practice that can improve the health, function, and appearance of every family member's smile. At Living Life Dentistry, we are equipped with advanced technology and experienced technicians who are ready to provide compassionate and superior dental care for patients of all ages. We place great value on building personal relationship with each of our patients. Whether your visit is for a routine dental exam, cosmetic treatment, restorative treatment like dentures, or a simple dental filling, the moment you walk through our doors you will be treated like a member of our dental family.
What Is Family Dentistry?
Much like general dentistry, family dentistry provides services for preventative care and general oral hygiene maintenance, but for patients of all ages. Whereas some dentists have age restrictions for the patients they treat, Dr. Kinder can treat children, teenagers, and adults, making it convenient for families with children that range in age to all be seen at the same office by the same dentist.
Family dentistry provides services for preventative care and general oral hygiene maintenance for patients of all ages.
During your regular visits, Dr. Kinder will provide preventative services to ensure that plaque buildup and tooth decay are eliminated, cavities are filled with tooth-colored fillings, and your gums remain healthy. You and your loved ones will also have the option of watching movies or your favorite TV show with comfortable headphones during treatment.
Importance of Routine Dental Checkups
Family dentistry provides the first line of defense in dental care. Regular checkups and cleanings can prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and other dental concerns from developing. With a routine dental checkup twice a year, Dr. Kinder can also detect the earliest symptoms of oral health concerns, helping you save time and money on costly restorative procedures.
Depending on your needs, a regular checkup may include the following treatments:
- X-rays and Intraoral Cameras: Before beginning the exam, we will use advanced technology to take digital x-rays and imaging of your teeth, gums, and jawbone. Dr. Kinder will be able to use this imaging to detect any abnormalities or health concerns.
- Cleaning and Polishing: Using hand instruments or advanced technology, your hygienist will gently remove plaque buildup from the surface of your teeth and around the gum line. The hygienist will then use an abrasive paste and polisher to clean and brighten your smile. Once this is complete, your teeth will be thoroughly flossed, and we will provide you with a fluoride treatment to help prevent tooth decay from developing. If any tooth decay is detected, Dr. Kinder can provide a tooth-colored filling.
- Scaling and Root Planing: If gum disease is detected, special dental instruments may be used to remove heavy plaque buildup from below the gum line and to smooth the roots of the teeth to help prevent bacteria from adhering. Scaling and root planing is often referred to as a deep cleaning.
- TMJ Evaluation: Dr. Kinder will also check your temporomandibular joints (TMJ), the hinge joints responsible for opening and closing your jaw, to check for any side effects of TMJ disorder.
- Oral Cancer Screening: Finally, Dr. Kinder will also check inside your mouth, as well as your neck, jawbone, and face for any lumps or abnormalities. When oral cancer is caught early, you have a much higher chance of survival.
Schedule Your Consultation
Dr. Kinder and the staff at Living Life Dentistry look forward to serving you and your family with excellent, comprehensive care in a comfortable environment. To protect your family’s oral health, contact our Knoxville, TN, office today to schedule a routine dental checkup.